The Zonta Club of Northampton Area has been dedicated to Zonta’s mission of empowering women worldwide through service and advocacy since 1934. As we say in our club, “we act locally AND we act globally!”
This is our Zonta Club of Northampton’s June 2019 to May 2020 – our 86 years Club! 1934-2020
(You can look at our Club’s History to see what it was for so long).
And this is also the year of the Centennial Celebration year for Zonta International,
and we have been empowering women internationally for 100 years!
We support several Service & Advocacy benefit programs such as:
- Awards and Scholarships – These include “Young Women in Public Affairs (YWPA) Award“, “Women in Technology Scholarship” and “Jane M. Klausman (JMK) Women in Business Scholarship“. (These are revised at Zonta International every year.)
We plan to find a way to many women to let them know about one of these events, and give the Applications that would be good for them, and we will give some money to the best women for an award or scholarship. We plan to find a way to reach more women to let them know about these awards, and provide them with applications.
Safe Passage – A number of us walk (or run) at the annual Hot Chocolate Walk/Run on December, and also giving some of the Period items when they tell us how much of the them they need.
- Girls Inc. – We hear many wonderful things from the “workers” and the young women they work with! We provide funding on request, and we attend events when we can.
- Working with Tapestry Health, providing advocacy and helping with fundraising. The main office is in Northampton, a community-based non-profit in western Massachusetts offering affordable, high quality care, including family planning services, reproductive health exams, STI screenings, HIV counseling and testing, needle exchange, outreach efforts, a WIC nutrition program, and much more.
Plus several benefit projects or learning with other Zontians:
- Period Project starting on January, and usually go along with the Quaboag Valley and Springfield Zonta clubs in Western Massachusetts near the Connecticut River. We usually collect feminine products, and give the items we send to shelters or centers so they can use them to their women who need them. We hope even more people will be contributing donations of products or money!
- UN CSW that several of us go at New York city at the full 2nd week of March.
Please visit often! Soon you will be able to sign up to a “Mailing List” to receive occasional newsletters and announcements of specific projects, programs and other events.